Why do we need it?
Monitoring and Reporting is not just an add-on to the business functionality that can be added long after the design of business functionality has finished. It is an essential element of the architecture and design. It provides you with all the tools and information required to run business process as expected.
- Business & Architects
- Reporting on KPI and performance
- Gain insight in business processes (business process mining)
- Improve business processes (improve effectiveness, reduce cost and failures)
- Developers and Testers
- Gain insight in runtime behavior of business processes and adapters
- Use reports to find bugs and improve components
- Monitor currently running processes and adapters
- Receive warnings when infrastructure or processes get into trouble
- Receive alerts when infrastructure or processes fail
- Analyze root cause of problems
- Collect usage metrics for capacity management
What does monitoring and reporting do?
- Collect events
- Basic logging (status)
- Exceptions / Failures
- Metrics (performance / usage)
- Analyze (filter / organize/ classify)
- Act on events (alarm / notify / automated response)
- Improve (change procedures, guidelines)
Presentation on this subject: Monitoring en Rapportage (Dutch language)
The bottom line here is: “Be in control, and do not let the system take control for you”